This legal glossary is a basic guide to common legal terms. A lawyer is in the best position to advise you about your legal rights and responsibilities.
Different terms may have different meanings based on the specific area of law or the context in which they are being used. For legal terms not referred to in this glossary, or for more comprehensive definitions, you may wish to refer to a legal dictionary or to an internet resource.
Browse the glossary
To browse the glossary alphabetically, use the following links:
Search the Glossary
Search the glossary for term/phrase:
- Young Offenders Act (YOA)
- Federal statute that was replaced by the Youth Criminal Justice Act in 2003.
- Young Person
- Under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, a person between the ages 12 and 17 inclusive.
- Youth Court (Youth Justice Court)
- Specially designated courts that hear Youth Criminal Justice Act cases.
- Youth Criminal Justice Act (YCJA)
- Federal statute that sets out the procedures for criminal charges and sentences against persons under 18.
- Youth Custody Facility
- Specially designated places under the Youth Criminal Justice Act for young persons to be held in custody.