This legal glossary is a basic guide to common legal terms. A lawyer is in the best position to advise you about your legal rights and responsibilities.
Different terms may have different meanings based on the specific area of law or the context in which they are being used. For legal terms not referred to in this glossary, or for more comprehensive definitions, you may wish to refer to a legal dictionary or to an internet resource.
Browse the glossary
To browse the glossary alphabetically, use the following links:
Search the Glossary
Search the glossary for term/phrase:
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Resolving conflict through means other than going to court. Examples of alternative dispute resolution include: arbitration, mediation, and collaborative family law.
- A process where a neutral third party, selected by the disputing parties, makes a decision on the issue in dispute.
- Collaborative Family Law
- A process where the parties and lawyers formally agree to negotiate a resolution of the issues in dispute through a series of meetings, without going to court.
- A process where a neutral third party (mediator), selected by the disputing parties, assists parties to reach agreement on issues in dispute.