Selected Family Law Legislation
The following contains on-line versions of some important family legislation. Legislation can change over time. The versions available on-line may not be up-to-date and may not be official versions.
The Government of Ontario operates a Web site that provides the full text of Ontario legislation, including the following legislation related to family law:
- Child, Youth and Family Services Act, 2017
- Outlines the powers and responsibilities of children's aid societies. In addition, the Act sets out the rules governing the adoption of children
- Children's Law Reform Act
- Deals with such matters as custody of, and access to children, as well the rules to establish parentage of a child
- Family Law Act
- Deals with spousal and child support, division of property, and possession of the matrimonial home
- Family Responsibility and Support Arrears Enforcement Act, 1996
- Outlines the powers and responsibilities of the Family Responsibility Office to collect child and spousal support payments
- Interjurisdictional Support Orders Act, 2002
- Outlines the methods to apply for a support order or a change of an existing support order in another Canadian province or reciprocating jurisdiction
- Federal Divorce Act
- Deals with divorce, as well as claims for child and spousal support, and custody and access, in divorce cases.