Family Mediation

If you and your spouse cannot come to an agreement on your own, a mediator may be able to help you communicate better with each other and reach an agreement.

Mediators are neutral third parties who can help you agree on a variety of issues, including support payments, the division of property, or custody of and access to your children. You should review any agreement you reach during mediation with a lawyer before you sign it. Mediation is not right for everyone, particularly in cases where there has been violence or abuse.

Follow the links below for more information about mediation services in Ontario and how to find a mediator.

General information

General information about family mediation and whether it may be right for you
Who are mediators, and what can they do for me?
Explains the mediation process, describes what services are available in family courts, when it is appropriate to use a mediator and initial fees for using a mediator
The Ontario Association for Family Mediation (OAFM)
A not-for-profit association promoting family mediation as a dispute resolution process for separating couples and for families in conflict. Contains information on the mediation process and mediation standards, and lists accredited mediators across Ontario
Family Dispute Resolution Institute of Ontario (FDRIO)

Locating a mediator

Finding and selecting an appropriate mediator
Explains how to find the best mediator for you, and sets out the minimum qualifications required for mediators providing services in family courts.
Family Court Mediation and Information Services - Contact Information
Mediator Search
The Ontario Association for Family Mediation provides a list of accredited family mediators for various locations within Ontario. Use the "mediator search" on the right hand side rather than the "mediator search by map" on the left
The ADR Institute of Ontario also maintains a list of mediators who have been accredited by their organization, and can be searched by location and area of expertise, including family law.

See also