How to get a copy of a Divorce Order, Certificate of Divorce or other court document

In order to obtain a copy of any of these documents, you must request them from the court office where the case was started.

If you are unable to attend in person, you may ask a representative to attend on your behalf or you may write to the court office.

You may wish to call the court office in advance to ask about any steps that are necessary in order to obtain the documents. For example, a fee of $19.00 is charged in order to obtain a Certificate of Divorce.

See the listing of Ontario Courts.

Child support

Copies of child support order are available upon request at the court office where the court file is located.

If you do not know where in Canada your divorce was started

You can contact the Central Registry of Divorce:

Central Registry of Divorce Proceedings
Department of Justice
284 Wellington Street
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0H8
(613) 957-4519

Note however that the CRDP can only provide you with your divorce registry number and does not have copies of divorce certificates.

Additional information about the Registry can be found on the Department of Justice Website

If the divorce was granted prior to 1979

Documentation for divorces that were granted in Ontario prior to 1979 can be obtained from the Archives of Ontario. Archives staff will require the year the divorce was granted, the court location and the court file number. If you do not have that information, you should contact the court office or the Central Registry of Divorce Proceedings.

The Archives of Ontario can be reached at:

Archives of Ontario
134 Ian Macdonald Boulevard
Toronto ON   M7A 2C5
(416) 327-1600
Toll Free: 1-800-668-9933 (Ontario only)

For more information, see Finding Divorce Files in Ontario on the Archives of Ontario website.