Freedom of Information

Text: Larger | Smaller

The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act provides individuals with a right of access to records and personal information under the custody or control of Ontario government ministries and agencies. The Act also has privacy protection provisions concerning the collection, use, disclosure, retention and disposal of personal information. Further information about the Act is available from the Management Board Secretariat - Corporate Freedom of Information and Privacy Office and the Information and Privacy Commissioner/Ontario.

The Ministry of the Attorney General Freedom of Information and Privacy Office provides access and privacy services for the ministry and its agencies, boards and commissions.

How to Make a Request

Requests under the Act must be made in writing. As the Internet is not a secure communications vehicle, we are not able to accept requests via the Internet. You may submit your request by mail or fax. You may print an Access or Correction Request.

For information about the types of records held by the ministry, you may wish to consult the Directory of Records. When requesting information, please provide specific details about the records you wish to access.

If you are requesting to access personal information records on behalf of a client or another person, our standard Authorization for Release of Personal Information Form should be completed by that individual and included with your access request application form.

An application fee of $5.00 payable to the Minister of Finance is required at the time you submit your request. You may pay by cheque, money order or credit card (Visa or Master Card).

Where To Contact Us

Ministry of the Attorney General
Freedom of Information and Privacy Office
720 Bay Street, 5th Floor
Toronto, ON M7A 2S9
Telephone: (416) 326-4300
Fax: (416) 326-4307