Planning for Incapacity

It is important to plan for the possibility that at some point in the future, you may not be able to make decisions about your medical treatment, housing, property, etc.

By making prior arrangements, you can decide who would act as substitute decision-maker on your behalf.

There are two main types of legal documents that you can use to determine how your health and property is to be managed in the event of incapacity: a "living will" and a Power of Attorney—a legal document that gives someone else the right to act on your behalf.

General information

What is a Power of Attorney?
A brief definition and discussion of its importance
Powers of Attorney and "Living Wills": Some Questions and Answers
An introduction to options when planning for incapacity
A Guide to the Substitute Decisions Act
A plain-language overview of the legislation behind the Power of Attorney and substitute decision-making


The Power of Attorney kit
Contains forms and detailed information about the Continuing Power of Attorney for Property and Power of Attorney for Personal Care

Related pages

The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care's Mental Health Publication page
The Consent and Capacity Board
An independent provincial tribunal whose key areas of activity are the adjudication of matters of capacity, consent, civil committal and substitute decision making