Dealing with Mental Incapacity

Text size: larger | smaller

Please note: the page will print without the top and left navigation bars and in black and white only.

Mental incapacity is when someone cannot understand relevant information or cannot appreciate what may happen as a result of decisions they make—or do not make—about their finances, health or personal care.

Planning ahead
How do I plan ahead in case I were to become unable to take care of myself and my property? Learn more about choosing a substitute decision-maker for yourself through a Power of Attorney and "living will".
What do I do if I think someone is incapable of taking care of themselves?
Learn how to:
  • request an assessment of someone's capacity
  • find someone to perform an assessment
  • find and fill out assessment forms
  • make a referral to the OPGT in cases of serious risk
What happens when someone is deemed incapable?
Learn more about how substitute health care and financial decisions are made, a guide to the Substitute Decisions Act, the role of the Public Guardian as decision-maker.
In the absence of a continuing Power of Attorney for property, a Guardian of Property must be assigned to make decisions on behalf of the incapable person. Learn more about:
  • what it means to be a guardian
  • how to become a guardian
  • what to do if you are concerned about how a guardian is performing
About the Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee (OPGT)