Criminal Law Division
The Criminal Law Division is responsible for the conduct in Ontario of prosecutions under the Criminal Code and other Federal Statutes such as the Youth Criminal Justice Act, as well as under provincial statutes such as the Highway Traffic Act and the Liquor Licence Act. The divisions's other responsibilities include:
- representing the Crown in criminal appeals in the Courts of Appeal and in the Supreme Court of Canada;
- providing specialized legal advice in a number of areas of criminal law to the Police, the Attorney General, the Deputy Attorney General, and other stakeholders in the criminal justice system;
- providing special services such as applications for wiretap authorization, extraditions and search warrants;
- developing Criminal Law policy recommendations for both provincial and federal applications, including consultations with the Federal Department of Justice;
- planning and promoting cost-effective and timely management of the criminal justice system in consultation with other stakeholders such as the police, the defence bar and members of the judiciary; and
- administering special programs such as the Victim/Witness Assistance Program.